cost per credit hour
Total Credit Hours
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) post-MSN certificate, offered by the School of Nursing, is for professional nurses who are interested in providing advanced psychiatric mental health nursing care in their community. Graduates of this program will meet all requirements to sit for national certification. You will perform advanced clinical differential diagnoses and management of patients to this selection population. The program includes 540 total clinical hours. With our degree, earning your qualifications is now easier than ever and all students pay in-state tuition rates. You can complete your degree in three semesters and each student’s plan of study is individualized based on educational and experiential background.
- August 18, 2021
This post-graduate certificate program prepares advanced practice nurses to meet the needs for advanced psychiatric mental health nursing care in their communities. Graduates of this program will meet all requirements to sit for national certification in psychiatric mental health and are formally prepared to offer care at the advanced practice level specific to this select population.
The program includes 510 practicum hours (and an additional 30 hours in psychotherapy modalities). National certification requires at least 500 clock hours of direct patient care in the advanced role. However, some students may have accrued appropriate hours prior to admission. Any hours accrued prior to admission must have been academically supervised and completed in an approved psychiatric mental health care setting. To have previous MSN or DNP level practicum hours considered for credit, the applicant must submit a portfolio including the items listed below. Applicants may also be asked to participate in a recorded interview regarding his or her experience in psychiatric mental health including medication management, psychotherapies, and other roles and responsibilities. Each applicant’s portfolio should contain the following:
- Specific prior academic practice site information and number of hours at each site
- A description of prior academic practice experience
- A letter from a program director and/or associate dean of the previous graduate level APRN program verifying clinical hours and sites
At the completion of the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate, the graduate will be prepared to demonstrate the following outcomes:
- Conduct a comprehensive and systematic assessment of health and illness parameters in complex situations, incorporating diverse and culturally sensitive approaches.
- Design, implement, and evaluate therapeutic interventions based on nursing science and other sciences.
- Develop and sustain therapeutic relationships and partnerships with patients (individual, family or group) and other professionals to facilitate optimal care and patient outcomes.
- Demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment and accountability in designing, delivering, and evaluating evidence-based care to improve patient outcomes.
- Guide, mentor, and support other nurses to achieve excellence in nursing practice.
- Educate and guide individuals and groups through complex health and situational transitions.
Learn more about this program
Complete the form, and we’ll send you program information. If you want, give us your phone number, and we’ll call and answer any questions you have. We won’t share this information with anyone.