Admission as Professional Development Student
If you are seeking credits for teacher renewals of certification or salary increases, you will need to be active, non-degree, graduate student (Professional Development) in order to enroll in the credits. If you are unsure of your status, email WVUOnline@mail.wvu.edu or contact WVU Online at (304) 293-2834, Opt 3.
If you are not an active WVU student with non-degree, graduate status, you need to follow the steps below:
Apply to WVU through the Application.
- Create an account by clicking on the Sign Up link at the bottom of the screen.
- Use account information created to sign in the application and click Sign In.
- Complete the application with your information and the following:
- Campus: WVU Main/Morgantown Campus.
- Delivery Method: Professional Development.
- Program: Professional Development (Teacher/Certification Renewal).
- Term: Select the appropriate term for which you wish to receive the credits.
- The Office of Graduate Admissions will process your admission request. This can take a few business days to process.
- Participants are responsible for registration. Instructions for registering and making payments can be found on this page for reference.
Retrieving Login Credentials
Follow the directions below for claiming your account. Please allow yourself 15-20 minutes to claim your account, change your password, set up Duo Two-factor Authentication, register for the course, and pay your bill. After the initial set up, you will skip to the Accessing your WVU Portal account and Registration and How to Pay Your Bill portions ( inside WVU Portal) of the instructions for future registrations.
Obtaining your WVU ID Number:
- Visit https://login.wvu.edu.
- Click on the Look Up WVUID.
- Follow the directions to retrieve your ID by using your Date of Birth and Social Security Number.
- Keep this number secure and ready for the next set of instructions.
If you need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Claiming your WVU account:
Next you will need to Claim your Account to get your username and change your password. You will need to claim your account at https://login.wvu.edu/. If you receive the error that the account has already been claimed, please use the Manage Alumni Account feature.
- Click on Claim Account
- Follow the directions on the screens that proceed with your First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth and your newly acquired WVU ID number from the first paragraph of directions. (If you have a previous name with WVU or other institutions, please attempt that name as well if your current name does not generate results.)
- Review the WVU Security Responsibility Statement and click Accept.
- Answer the Cybersecurity Quiz. Once you have received a passing score, click Next.
- Fill out the information to have a non-WVU recovery contact. Click Next.
- You will see a screen that says ALMOST DONE! With your username in bold. (This is separate from your WVU ID number. Usernames are used for login purposes and can change with a name change. WVUID numbers do not change.) Click on Next Step: Create Your Password.
- Type in your newly acquired Username.
- You will be asked to C hoose a Method to verify you are the correct person to change your password. After you have received the verification code, type the code in the box and click Next.
- Set your password using the parameters indicated. Click Change Password.
If you need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Duo Two-Factor Authentication Required
You may be prompted the first time you sign into the WVU Portal to enroll in Duo Two-Factor Authentication. Two-factor authentication is a second layer of security besides your username and password for any kind of account. It means you have to confirm your identity in two ways – with something you KNOW and something you HAVE. Duo is the application that WVU is using.
All WVU users (faculty, staff, and students) are required to enroll in this additional security. There are two ways an account can be enrolled: 1. the use of the Duo app on an approved smart device or 2. through the purchase of an approved token.
Please read through the steps provided by ITS and if you have questions or need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Once you have your WVU ID number and have claimed your account, you can access and login to the WVU Student Portal Account. This will be where you will access your student information and student services.
You will need the CRN (Course Reference Number) that has been provided to you from the instructor.
- Log into portal.wvu.edu. If you do not have access to the portal, you can log in and register through STAR.
- Select Schedule Builder.
- Select the course term, then click Save and Continue.
- Any courses that are already in your Shopping Cart will appear. Click Continue Planning Schedule to add or modify courses.
- Select the Campus for which you want to register for classes. (This should be WVU Main/Morgantown Campus.)
- Click Save and Continue to go to the schedule builder.
- On the schedule builder page, add the courses you want to register for. Once all courses have been added, click Generate Schedules.
- Click the View link at the bottom of the Schedules list to see the Potential Schedule for Semester.
- Click Send to Shopping Cart.
- A pop-up message will ask if you want to continue. Click Continue. Your cart will now be ready to import to STAR, and your browser will be redirected.
- On STAR’s Select a Term page, use the drop-down to select the correct semester and click Continue.
- On the Register for Classes page, click the Plans tab at the top to access the schedule plan you sent over from Schedule Builder.
- On the Plans page, you will see the courses you selected. Click the Add button in each line (row) to add each course to your schedule registration Summary list.
- The Status of each course will display Pending.
- After all courses are added to the Summary list, click the Submit button to register for the pending courses. The status of each course will change to Registered and a success message will appear at the top of the window.
Note: If a registration is unsuccessful, your Summary Status will show an error message and your Action option will change to Remove. If you experience an error message while trying to register, check the Student Registration Issues and Errors article for common errors and their solutions.
Change/Update Personal Information
If there are corrections to be made on your personal information, please fill out the form at https://registrar.wvu.edu/forms and return the form and necessary documents to the Office of the University Registrar.
For information on billing, viewing your charges, how to make a payment, and other payment-related information, please refer to the WVU Student Accounts website.