If your program leads to a professional license or certification, authorization may be required from the state professional licensing board prior to beginning a clinical or field experience in that state. Check with your program’s internship or clinical coordinator prior to beginning an internship or field experience in another state.

West Virginia University academic programs are designed to prepare students to apply for licensure or certification in West Virginia. Completion of a West Virginia University program may not meet educational requirements for licensure or certification in a state other than West Virginia.

If West Virginia University has not determined whether completion of a licensure program meets educational requirements for licensure in a state, you should contact the state licensing entity to make that determination or contact Kimberly Foore, Director of State Authorization at Kimberly.Foore@mail.wvu.edu.

Professional Licensure Notifications – 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) and 34 CFR 668.43 (c)

34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) and 34 CFR 668.43 (c) requires disclosures by institutions regarding educational requirements for programs leading to professional licensure or certification regardless of modality. 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) requires an institution to make readily available to enrolled and prospective students whether programs leading to professional licensure or certification meet educational requirements.

WVU makes every effort to ensure information about educational requirements for licensure and/or certification is current; however, state requirements may change. Separate from educational requirements, state licensure boards may require applicants to complete professional examinations, background checks, years of professional experience, jurisprudence exams, training, etc. If you are planning to pursue professional licensure or certification in a state other than West Virginia, it is strongly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing entity in that state to seek information and guidance regarding licensure or certification requirements before beginning an academic program.

The following programs meet educational requirements for licensure in all 50 states:

  • Accounting
  • Athletic Training
  • Audiology
  • Dental Endodontics
  • Dental Orthodontics
  • Dental Periodontics
  • Dental Prosthodontics
  • Dentistry DDS
  • Energy Land Management
  • Interior Design
  • JD
  • Landscape Architecture
  • MSN/MBA (optional certificate)
  • Music Education
  • Nutritional Food & Science
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Psychology
  • Social Work
  • Speech Language Pathology

The following programs are still under review and therefore undetermined to meet educational requirements:

  • Agricultural & Extension Education
  • Art Education
  • Child Development & Family Studies
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • Dental Hygiene
  • Nursing
  • Elementary Education
  • Health Informatics & Information Management
  • Literacy Education
  • Medical Laboratory Science
  • Music Therapy
  • Pathologists Assistant
  • Physician Assistant
  • School Counseling
  • Secondary Education