Use the links below to jump to the instruction that applies to your situation.
Admission as Professional Development Student
If you are seeking credits for teacher renewals of certification or salary increases, you will need to be active, non-degree, graduate student (Professional Development) in order to enroll in the credits. If you are unsure of your status, email WVUOnline@mail.wvu.edu or contact WVU Online at (304) 293-2834, Opt 3.
If you are not an active WVU student with non-degree, graduate status, you need to follow the steps below:
- Apply to WVU through the Graduate Application.
- Create an account by clicking on the Sign Up link at the bottom of the screen.
- Use account information created to sign in the application and click Sign In.
- Complete the application with your information and the following:
- Delivery Method: Professional Development.
- Program: Professional Development (Teacher/Certification Renewal).
- Term: Select the appropriate term for which you wish to receive the credits.
- The Office of Graduate Admissions will process your admission request. This can take a few business days to process.
- Participants are responsible for registration. Instructions for registering and making payments can be found on this page for reference.
Retrieving Login Credentials
Follow the directions below for claiming your account. Please allow yourself 15-20 minutes to claim your account, change your password, set up Duo Two-factor Authentication, register for the course, and pay your bill. After the initial set up, you will skip to the Accessing your WVU Portal account and Registration and How to Pay Your Bill portions (inside WVU Portal) of the instructions for future registrations.
Obtaining your WVU ID Number:
- Visit https://login.wvu.edu.
- Click on the Look Up WVUID.
- Follow the directions to retrieve your ID by using your Date of Birth and Social Security Number.
- Keep this number secure and ready for the next set of instructions.
If you need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Claiming your WVU account:
Next you will need to Claim your Account to get your username and change your password. You will need to claim your account at https://login.wvu.edu/. If you receive the error that the account has already been claimed, please use the Manage Alumni Account feature.
- Click on Claim Account
- Follow the directions on the screens that proceed with your First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth and your newly acquired WVU ID number from the first paragraph of directions.
(If you have a previous name with WVU or other institutions, please attempt that name as well if your current name does not generate results.)
- Review the WVU Security Responsibility Statement and click Accept.
- Answer the Cybersecurity Quiz. Once you have received a passing score, click Next.
- Fill out the information to have a non-WVU recovery contact. Click Next.
- You will see a screen that says ALMOST DONE! With your username in bold. (This is separate from your WVU ID number. Usernames are used for login purposes and can change with a name change. WVUID numbers do not change.) Click on Next Step: Create Your Password.
- Type in your newly acquired Username.
- You will be asked to Choose a Method to verify you are the correct person to change your password. After you have received the verification code, type the code in the box and click Next.
- Set your password using the parameters indicated. Click Change Password.
If you need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Duo Two-Factor Authentication Required
You may be prompted the first time you sign into the WVU Portal to enroll in Duo Two-Factor Authentication. Two-factor authentication is a second layer of security besides your username and password for any kind of account. It means you have to confirm your identity in two ways – with something you KNOW and something you HAVE. Duo is the application that WVU is using.
All WVU users (faculty, staff, and students) are required to enroll in this additional security. There are two ways an account can be enrolled: 1. the use of the Duo app on an approved smart device or 2. through the purchase of an approved token.
Please read through the steps provided by ITS and if you have questions or need assistance, call ITS Help Desk at (304) 293-4444.
Once you have your WVU ID number and have claimed your account, you can access and login to the WVU Student Portal Account. This will be where you will access your student information and student services.
You will need the CRN (Course Reference Number) that has been provided to you from the instructor.
- Log into the WVU Portal.
- Click the STAR link. If prompted, enter your Login credentials to continue.
- Click the Student Services & Housing tab.
- Click Registration.
- Click Access Registration Tools.
- Click Add or Drop Classes.
- Select a term for registration from the dropdown menu and click Continue.
- Use the Enter CRNs tabs to enter the information provided to you from the instructor for your Professional Development (930) course. If you do not have this information, contact the instructor or WVU Online (WVUOnline@mail.wvu.edu).
- To register for a course, click the Add button. This will add the course to your Summary. You can choose to enter another CRN or register for the class(es) in your Summary by clicking the Submit button.
Note: You must click Submit to register for a course. Courses left in your Summary are set as pending. If you leave this page before submitting items in the Summary, all pending courses will be lost. You will receive a warning message if you try to navigate from this page before submitting your courses.
- If registration is successful, you will see a green Save Successful message and the Summary Status will change to Registered. No further actions are needed. Your Schedulewindow will show your registered courses in a calendar view. Click the Schedule Details tab to view more information.
Note: If a registration is unsuccessful, your Summary Status will show an error message and your Action option will change to Remove. If you experience an error message while trying to register, check the Student Registration Issues and Errors article for common errors and their solutions.
Change/Update Personal Information
If there are corrections to be made on your personal information, please fill out the form at https://registrar.wvu.edu/forms and return the form and necessary documents to the Office of the University Registrar.
Late fees are assessed on the second day of every month, at a rate of 2.25%, on balances greater than $200 or more, and will be assessed each month until the balance is paid. Failure to do so will place a hold on your account preventing you from dropping courses, registering for new ones, and receiving transcripts until the balance is paid. If balances are not paid, they could also be sent to collections.
From your Portal account, click on the STAR tab.
- Click on Student Services and Housing;
- Click on Student Accounts;
- Click Electronic Bill by Term/Make Payment;
- Select Appropriate Term;
- Click the Pay link at the top of the page or PAY NOW in blue at the bottom of the bill.
- Choose one of two payment methods:
- Electronic Check – Works just like a normal check except you input the routing and account numbers for your checking account. Just like a real check these can be returned for insufficient funds or if your account or routing number are incorrect.
- Debit or Credit Card – Input your debit/credit card number, expiration date, and CVV code on the back of the card. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express are all accepted. **Note: there is a 2.25% convenience fee on all debit and credit card payments.
- Input the value you wish to pay and then follow directions for your selected method.