Software Engineering Graduate Certificate
Professionals in the information technology and computer industries can enhance their education and career possibilities by earning a graduate certificate in Software Engineering. The courses are offered one evening each week live via the Internet. Graduates apply their software development skills to implement new technologies in one of the fastest growing professions throughout industry and government.
West Virginia University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Acceptance into the program can be either as a Regular Graduate Student or a Provisional Graduate Student status.
Regular Graduate Student status will meet the following requirements:
- Recently completed a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, with little or no experience in the software engineering industry
- Minimum 3.0 GPA with at least a 3.0 GPA in the major
- Satisfactory score in the quantitative component of the GRE (University Policy minimums)
Provisional Graduate Student status must meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in any field
- Minimum 2.75 GPA
- At least one (1) year of software engineering industry experience outlined in a resume
**The GRE is not required for provisional admission.
In order to continue in the program as a Regular Graduate Student, a Provisional Graduate Student must:
- Earn at least a grade of B in each of the first four approved courses while enrolled as a provisional graduate student
- Submit a resume documenting at least three (3) years of software development related experience (the three-year requirement must be met by the time 4 core courses are completed)
- Provide three (3) letters of reference from individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s work experience
- Apply with the online Graduate Application
- Pay graduate application fee
- Submit a resume
- Submit three letters of reference (provisional graduate students only)
- GRE scores (regular graduate students only)
- Request official transcripts from all institutions attended (other than WVU) and send to:
WVU Office of Graduate Admissions
One Waterfront Place
PO Box 6510
Morgantown, WV 26506-6510
electronically sent to GraduateAdmissions@mail.wvu.edu
All applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. WVU accepts either the TOEFL or the IELTS for this purpose.
|Tuition and Fees
for academic year 2017-2018
Per Credit Hour
Per Credit Hour
The certificate consists of 15 credits, 12 of which can be completed as a provisional or non-degree student. The courses are offered one evening each week live via the Internet, and students can review the archived lectures online if they have to miss.
The curriculum consists of the following courses:
|SENG 510||Software Project Management|
|SENG 520||Software Analysis and Design|
|SENG 530||Validation and Verification|
|SENG 540||Software Evolution|
|SENG 550||Introduction to Object-Oriented Design|
Students who want to earn a master’s degree must apply to the degree program and can transfer six credit hours from the certificate toward the master’s degree.
Students who graduate from WVU Online with the Software Engineering Graduate Certificate degree may be prepared for the following careers. These are only a few examples of some of the many opportunities that will be open to you with this degree. Advanced degrees or certifications may be required for some positions.
Software DeveloperGrowth: 9-13%
Software Quality Assurance EngineerGrowth: 2-4%
Computer Systems AnalystGrowth: 14% or higher
Computer Support SpecialistGrowth: 9-13%
Network and Computer Systems AdministratorGrowth: 5-8%
Education AdministratorGrowth: 5-8%