Instructional Design and Technology M.A.
The growth in online education and training has created a demand for individuals who can apply cutting edge technologies and instructional design strategies to create quality learning experiences in public schools, higher education institutions, and corporate and non-profit organizations. The Master of Arts in Instructional Design and Technology, offered by the College of Education and Human Services, prepares students for jobs as technology integration specialists or online curriculum specialists. Teachers looking for a master’s degree may also find this a perfect complement to undergraduate degrees.
In higher education, instructional designers develop online courses or work with faculty to create interactive classroom components. In addition, the IDT degree provides the foundation for additional doctoral study.
West Virginia University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. West Virginia University’s Professional Education Preparation Unit is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). This Unit includes undergraduate and graduate preparation programs for licensure of teachers and those in educational support areas. This includes programs not only in College of Education and Human Services but also several outside the College (Agriculture, Art, Health, Music and Physical Education).
Applicant must have:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- GRE or GMAT scores OR a narrative describing two years of professional work experience (individuals with 2+ years work experience can ask to have the testing requirement waived)
- Apply with the online Graduate Application
- Pay graduate application fee
- Upload a cover letter describing work experience and goals for graduate study
- Request official GRE or GMAT scores be sent to WVU (or a narrative, as described above)
- Upload resume or vitae
- Upload three letters of reference commenting on professional background and your plans for graduate study
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores for International Students
- Request official transcripts from all institutions attended (other than WVU) and send to:
WVU Office of Graduate Admissions
One Waterfront Place
PO Box 6510
Morgantown, WV 26506-6510
electronically sent to GraduateAdmissions@mail.wvu.edu
Deadline for Summer 2018 is April 1, 2018
|Tuition and Fees
for academic year 2017-2018
Per Credit Hour
Per Credit Hour
Financial aid is available. Students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to determine their eligibility for federal and state funds as well as scholarships. WVU’s FAFSA Code is 003827.
Students typically complete the 30 credit hours in two years.
The curriculum consists of the following courses:
Analysis and Design
|EDP 600||Educational Psychology|
|EDP 640||Instructional Design|
|IDT 630||Instructional Delivery Systems|
|IDT 600||IDT Models and Theories|
|IDT 610||Distance Education|
|IDT 612||Educational Research|
Development and Evaluation
|IDT 620||Social Network Media|
|IDT 660||Authoring Systems|
|IDT 735||Technology Integration|
|IDT 740||Design Studio|
|IDT 750||Prototype Studio|
|EDP 617||Program Evaluation|
* Because this is a constantly evolving field, other courses will be developed and offered to students. These courses may substitute for required courses.
Students will also develop an online portfolio and write a two-page summary of what was learned in the program. Faculty will review portfolios at the end of each semester and upon completion of the program.
Students who graduate from WVU Online with the Instructional Design and Technology M.A. degree may be prepared for the following careers. These are only a few examples of some of the many opportunities that will be open to you with this degree. Advanced degrees or certifications may be required for some positions.
Instructional Designer and TechnologistProjected Growth: 10-14% *Bright Outlook
Instructional CoordinatorProjected Growth: 10-14% *Bright Outlook
Training and Development SpecialistProjected Growth: 10-14% *Bright Outlook
Information Technology Project ManagerProjected Growth: 5-9%
Education ProfessorProjected Growth: 10-14% *Bright Outlook
Secondary School TeacherProjected Growth: 5-9%
Education Administrator - PostsecondaryProjected Growth: 10-14% *Bright Outlook
Education Administrator - Elementary and SecondaryProjected Growth: 5-9%